Welcome to Winnington Park Primary School's Eco Committee Page!
Why do we have an Eco Committee?
The Eco Committee is an ideal opportunity for our pupils to get more involved in the way Winnington Park Primary School is run and help it to be environmentally friendly. The Eco Committee benefits the whole school, pupils and teachers because it provides opportunities for pupils to communicate their feelings as well as influence decisions that are made. Councillors develop skills such as confidence, communication and negotiation. It is the responsibility of each Councillor to ensure that they express both their own views and the views of all the other pupils they represent.
Who can be a member of the School's Council/ Eco Committee?
Each year, we hold a special election day when candidates are voted for by their classmates. There are two Councillors per year group who represent their year group's views.
What do we do?
Members of the Council take part in discussionsand also feed back any relevant information to their class. At times they are requested to ask their class for ideas or take class votes relating to discussions by the Council. Members meet regularly with Mrs Hall, Mr Agnew and Mrs Dale to discuss their ideas.
2021-22 Key Priorities
- Maintain the School Kitchen Garden (our garden has been a huge success with us harvesting new potatoes, raspberries, onions and marrows all of which have been used in the school kitchen and incorporated into school dinners and healthy snacks).
- Reduce single plastic bottle waste in school.
- Promote Bags2School
- Look at ways in which we can reduce our paper waste - begin a recycling scheme.
- Plan a walk to school week
- Plan an ECO week
- Plan new ways in which we can be more 'eco-friendly' at our school e.g. only using biodegradable glitter!