Nursery and Reception
We are proud to run a vibrant, fun and caring Nursery (Pre-School) for three and four year olds as part of our Early Year Foundations Stage.
There are many reasons to choose our school based Nursery over an alternative provider:
- The Nursery is led by a qualified and experienced Early Years teacher.
- Children are supported by well qualified Early Years practitioners.
- Families can use our wrap around care ‘Winnington Winners’ before and after school club 7.30am – 6.00pm.
- Children have access to all school equipment and facilities including our Forest Schools area, School Garden, Early Years outside learning area, school halls and more…
- Our Nursery and Reception classes are fully integrated allowing for a smooth transition and successful start to school (should your child take a Reception class place).
Sessions are available through either 15 hours or 30 hours grant funding (depending on your eligibility) and additional sessions can be booked in for £12.00 for the morning or afternoon.
Our Nursery teacher is Mrs Sara Jordan.
Please get in touch with school if you would like to find our more information and would like to meet Mrs Jordan.
A little more information…
The Early Years Foundation Stage covers the education of children from birth to the end of the reception year. It is a distinct stage, important both in its own right and in building the foundations for the rest of your child's learning as they progress through school.
In our school, children aged from 3-5 years old work closely together in our Foundation Stage. This enables us to respond to individual needs, providing continuity and progression in your child's education through the provision of well-planned, high quality, "hands-on" learning experiences which take into account different learning styles.
The four guiding principles of the EYFS shape our practice:
- Every child is a unique child who is constantly learning
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
- Children learn and develop in enabling environments
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates
- A safe, secure and nurturing environment with a happy atmosphere, to promote confidence and increasing independence. The Nursery is a wonderful nurturing environment.
- A broad, balanced, creative curriculum
- Activities which are meaningful, challenging and fun!
The EYFS curriculum has three prime areas of learning and development:
- Personal, social and emotional
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
And four specific areas:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
In Nursery we focus primarily on the Prime Areas of learning. The curriculum emphasises the importance of learning through high quality play. Play underpins all development and learning for young children.
Your child's day will consist of a range of child-initiated learning activities, play and teacher-directed activities. The value of high quality play experiences is recognised in our school and is given priority in the planning and provision of resources. Children in Nursery learn by playing, exploring, being active and through creative and critical thinking which takes place both indoors and outside.
Daily phonics and maths sessions are planned, as well as activities to support speech and language development. Each half term a focus story is chosen and learning activities are linked to this story. You will receive information regarding the topic/theme being covered and how you can support the theme at home.
We understand and value the importance of forming excellent relationships with our parents. We know and understand that starting a new Nursery can be a stressful time for both parents and children, so we do everything we can to ensure that each child has a gradual admission to Nursery and that they are happy and feel safe in their new environment. We hold several open mornings each term where you are invited to come into school to ‘Stay and Play’ with your child.
We use Tapestry Early Years to provide each child with an electronic learning journey which you can access by providing us with your email address. Tapestry allows you to be consistently and actively involved in your child’s education. You will be able to see observations and photographs of your child whilst they are at school and it enables you to share your child’s at-home learning activities with us.
Each term we hold a parent’s evening where you are invited to come into school at an agreed time and discuss your child’s progress with the Class Teacher. You will also receive a detailed written report regarding your child’s progress at the end of their year in Nursery.