History lessons at Winnington Park inspire pupils’ curiosity to know more about the past. Our pupils develop an awareness of the past by developing a secure knowledge and understanding of British, local and world history. History lessons are sequenced to ensure children’s learning builds on what they have previously learnt by following our progressive knowledge and skills documents. Teachers check children’s understanding effectively, and identify and correct misunderstandings. Teachers ensure children embed key concepts in their long – term memory and apply them fluently.
The aims of the history curriculum are to ensure pupils:
- Develop an awareness of the past.
- Use a wide vocabulary of everyday historical terms.
- Ask and answer questions.
- Understand how knowledge of the past is constructed.
- Identify similarities and differences between ways of life in different periods of time.
Equality of opportunity at Winnington Park Primary School means that all children, taking account of gender, age, ability, disability, ethnic origin, faith, culture, social circumstances and sexual orientation have full access to all the curricular, pastoral and social opportunities offered by our History curriculum.